Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Practice Blog

I. About TaKiera.
II. Why I chose education.
III. 21st Century Educators work.
IV. Passions



Hello, my name is TaKiera Gibbs and I am 26 years old.  I am the youngest of 3 daughters.  I was born in Germany, my father was in the military. We moved to Mobile when I was 2 years old and I have been here since.  I am a graduate from W. P. Davidson High School, class of 2007.  After I graduated I moved out of my mothers house, which was honestly a move too soon so I eventually came back.  I had my son when I was 19 years old and he has been the joy of my life since. He is my motivation to succeed.

One day, I was having a conversation with my mother and I told her, "I think I'm ready to go back to school." I applied for the University of South Alabama and was accepted.  I have been here since January 2011.  My initial major was Nursing.  I received work study for the 2013-2014 school term and I was placed at Forest hill Elementary School. After working with the 2nd graders there, I decided I wanted to be a teacher. 

I would like to be a special education teacher.  I have a passion to help people with special need.  That has always been something that I loved, I also like helping children succeed.  Depending on the level of special needs the child is on, it is more difficult to teach them but I know it is something that I can do.

A 21st century educators work entails a lot.  Technology is increasing everyday so educators have to incorporate technology in their work to get the children's attention. Also the teacher has to make learning fun for the children to pay attention.  If a child is bored, they will not focus and they will do other things instead of learn.

My passion is helping people in any way that I can possible do.  If someone ask me to do something, I will try my best to do it for them.  I am very family oriented.  I love to be around my family.  I don't have many friends so I spend most of my time with my family. I would like to get better at managing my time and money.  I think these skill are need to succeed more in life.


4 comments:

  1. Hello! I want to say congratulations on coming back and deciding to be a teacher. First off, special education is a beautiful field and only few pursue it. I wish I could do something as that. I admire, too, that you went back to school after having your son. Also I can relate to Davidson because I teach their color guard team, so GO WARRIORS! It's a wonderful school! I found your post very interesting and very moving. I hope you reach the goal of becoming a special education teacher!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alex. A few kind words can go a long way. Reading your comment made me feel so much better. It is hard raising a son and going to school but my son is my motivation. I know you probably hear people say that a lot but I promise you, if it was not for God putting my son in my life there's no telling where I would be. Probably not in college though. I wish you well on your journey. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Hey Takiera, I really enjoyed reading your introduction. You remind me a bit of myself, I to moved out of my mother's house right out of high school. I don't know about you, but me and my mother did not get along very well throughout my adolescents. I'm sure that was me being a brat know it all teen, and her just being a tough mom. Now that I'm a mother myself I see things a lot clearer :). You sound like a really smart woman, with it all figured out. I have to give credit to anyone who loves math, it is my "kryptonite" for sure. Best of luck in EDM310!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working with students with special needs takes a special person, but it is very rewarding. I thoroughly enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete